Saturday, June 30, 2012

Reflection: Week Review (June 25-29)

   We learned and practiced a lot of 'olelo Hawai'i this week. More of speaking instead of worksheets, which I was pretty relieved about. We learned Pepeke Painu, Pepeke Henua, Pule a ka Haku, 'O Wakea, Pepeke Makemake, more vocabulary, some new questions, more reviewals of Kino 'A/ Kino 'O, the time and how to ask questions, tell, or answer in 'olelo Hawai'i, locational sentences, and practicing to ho'ole the Pepeke's. On Friday we had another activity which was scraping off the dirt of the Kalo and all of it, no spec left behind, equivalent to how if there's pepper on your ice cream I mean who would really want to eat that unless it was some kind of bacon ice cream but anyways the Kalo was to be cleaned to perfection. Then after we had done that we headed to Kumu Noe's class to watch a film about Hawaiʻi and it's establishment, the Annexation, and a little history as well but we didn't have time to finish it because school was almost over. This week was a tough but good week.

   The challenge for me this week was the Aia i hea in 'olelo Hawai'i. It was hard at first because I didn't understand what the structure or pattern was to Aia i hea and memorizing the locations. I wasn't looking forward to the times we pulled out the mats and grabbed the Kalo and la'i, because I didn't know what to say or know where the location was and plus I'm really bad at public speaking or being the center of attention. I tend to get nervous and jumble up my words or forget right on the spot. Having my notes, observing the other classmates, and Kumu go over with us a lot, definitely helps me to understand better.

   The Pule a ka Haku is the Lord's Prayer in ʻolelo Hawaiʻi. It was difficult to memorize because it's kind of long compared to Kunihi which is about half of the Prayer. We started practicing on Monday but I didn't really get it down until Friday because I had lost my paper in the beginning of the week but then I copied and wrote it down from my friend who had their's. On Friday along with our Ho'ike was to recite the Puke a ka Haku like we did with our Kunihi the week before. I was nervous and yet again messed up. I could memorize the whole thing but to say it on the spot knowing that I will be graded for it definitely was pressuring. Up until the second verse is when i completely forgot the whole thing and Kumu helped by feeding the words so I could possibly remember them but it was still hard to say. I'm still continuing to practice the Pule a ka Haku and the Kunihi at home and school.


   The Pepeke Makemake, Pepeke Painu, ʻO Wakea were the easiest to learn this week. The Pepeke Makemake is a sentence to express a want or like for something or to do an action. There are 2 types to this Makemake i and Makemake e, Makemake i is to express the want or like of something and Makemake e is to express the like or want to do an action. Makemake i sentence: I like the dog, Makemake au i ka ʻilio. Makemake e sentence: I want to surf, Makemake au e heʻenalu. A good tip to create this sentence is to put "Makemake" in the beginning. The Pepeke Painu is a sentence to say that something does or involved in an action or that something simply happened. Basically a verb sentence. Example sentence: I go to the dance, Hele au i ka Hula. Another tip is to put the verb in the beginning of the sentence. ʻO Wakea is a mele about the islands, itʻs very easy and simple because all we have to memorize and mele is the islands, Hanau ʻo Hawaiʻi, he moto, and so on.


   Friday was our activity day. But first after we had done our Kunihi, we grabbed our things and went to Midkiff to write out our summaries onto our blogs and while that was happening we also had our Hoʻike taking place outside. We got our laptops and went to the tables to start on our blogs and after we got logged on and got settled in, Kumu was about to call out the first 2 people, by the sticks, or as we say whenever he pulls them out "Not the shticks". I had a feeling Kumu was gonna call out my name, and he did right after Kapua. I was very nervous and I had to wait by the doors until it was my turn to Hoʻike. During that time I was practicing Pule a ka Haku and some of the Ninau Umi. After a long while it was my turn to go up. Kumu asked the questions and I answered the best I could even though I didn't know it or maybe even answered the wrong answers to the question. Most difficult would have to be the Pule a ka Haku. I tried to remain calm and ho'olohe to the question and respond correctly as I possibly could. Once I was done, I was very relieved that it was over and that I didn't have to go if I hadn't been called first. During the time inside the library, I started the beginning of my blog but didn't want to finish until now because I still wanted to the whole day was over so I could write about it and add in the activities we did. Since I didn't do it, I spent my time helping others who hadn't started their blogs and was typing in the first 3 or however so they had. It was a very very long time until the whole class had done their Ho'ike and it was time to do our activity which was after our 20 minute break and awhile after that because a few people didn't go yet. Which was about ʻo ka hola ʻumi keia. 
   
   Then once we were all done and mostly put our entries up, we went back to class to put our stuff inside then headed back outside. We filled up buckets with water, halfway then lined them against the wall. Kumu was ʻolelo Hawaiʻi which was kinda hard to understand because I was only picking up keywords and watched his hand motions to somewhat understand what he was talking about. We had to pick a partner and a bucket, then we got our Kalo and a knife and started washing and taking off the dirt. We used the back side of the knife to gently scrap off the dirt and take off as much "pepper" we could little by little. Afterwards once Kumu gave us the maikaʻi sign, we got to cut it up however we wanted and ʻai it. It smelled and tasted so ono. Even when it was all in the pot back at Midkiff, the aroma spread across and made me hungry. A few of my friends didnʻt want their's which was surprising but they gave some to me which I would gladly take but I was full at the time and I wanted to take some home but had no where to put it. After we had ate and washed up, the knives and the buckets and filled them up for the next class, we waited outside to Kumu Noe's class for the movie. After a few minutes, the class inside came out and we went in. We watched a film called "We are who we were" i think, about the Annexation of Hawai'i and some history. The story of how Hawaiʻi became a state, about Queen Liliuokalani, President Cleveland, the buisnessmen, and a lot more that was shown and told about. 
   
   I was looking forward to watching the whole thing and knowing more about Hawaiʻi's History because I'm all very new to this and was never educated in any Hawaiian thing and not familiar with any of it, and everything that I've learned in this class (Hawaiian 1) was all brand new to me like learning english for the first time, besides the very basic and common things of Hawaiian that I do know. Learning Hawaiian the language, culture, and history is all very hard but yet fun and interesting and I really enjoy learning about my culture. I do look forward to the rest of Summer school which is the remaining 3 weeks, but I know that it's going to be very hard and I'm going to try my best to really focus and make sure i'm understanding it. It's almost Monday so I'm prepared for the ton of work we have do and for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment